Pierce College
The smart choice
Search Tips  
ADA Information
Disability Policy Students
Child Abuse Reporting
Faculty Hiring
Faculty Hiring and Selection Training
Prop. 209
Employee Assistance Program(EAP)
Discrimination/Harassment Policy and Complaint Form
Student Grievances
Other Student Resources
Related Links
Pierce College Home

Student Grievances

The student grievance procedure is designed to provide a prompt and equitable means for resolving student grievances relating to the grading process. The grievance procedure may be initiated by a student or group of students who reasonably believe that they have been subject to unjust action or denied rights that adversely affect their status, rights, or privileges as a student. To initiate a student grievance, please contact the Office of College Compliance at (818) 710-2508 or e-mail at compliance@piercecollege.edu.

Although the grievance procedures are established to enable a student to challenge a particular grade, students are advised of section 76224 of the California Education Code which provides:
“When grades are given for any course of instruction taught in a community college district, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course and the determination of the student’s grade by the instructor, in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency, shall be final.”


Please also note that the student grievance procedure does not apply to challenge the process for prerequisites, corequisites, advisories and limitations on enrollment; alleged violations of sexual harassment; actions dealing with student discipline; alleged discrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, religion, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or an appeal for residency decision; or to eligibility, disqualification or reinstatement of financial aid.

All parties involved in a potential grievance are encouraged to seek an informal remedy.
The recommended steps for students to follow are:

  • meeting directly with the faculty member(s) with whom the student has a problem
  • meeting with the department chair of the faculty member(s)
  • meeting with the department’s Dean of Academic Affair
  • meeting with the College Ombudsperson Ombudspersons are faculty members appointed by the Academic Senate to assist students in obtaining informal resolution of a grievance.

Students unable to resolve their grievance through the informal process may file a “Formal Grievance Hearing Request Form” with the College Ombudsperson. The Ombudsperson will provide students with information about the formal grievance hearing process and their rights and responsibilities in this process.

Students pursuing a formal grievance have the right to be represented by a Student Advocate who will assist students in the formal grievance process.

Administrator Regulation E55 (Word Document)

Copyright © 2006 Pierce College. All rights reserved.
6201 Winnetka Ave., Woodland Hills, California 91371
Phone: 818-719-6401. Email: Pierce College.
super bowl 50th jerseys|